What were we thinking?!

Have you ever taken a job in a city you've never been to?
Kind of like how I decided to go to college in a city I had never been too, except this involved kids lives' and purchasing a house... so kind of a much bigger deal!
stock photo

But, we did it anyways. Really, we weren't leaving the country or anything, not even the state. We were only going another 2 hours down the road, but still!
The hubs and I called up a realtor in the area, said, "Hey, we'd like to come look at these 8 houses. We're only free 2 days from now. AND, we'll be bringing our kids and my parents. Thanks!" Surprisingly, he didn't laugh and hang up. And with the exception of one of the houses being unavailable due to a basement flooding problem, he got us in all the houses we wanted to see with just 2 days notice. Let's just say after that trip, I lowered my expectations, raised our budget and sent him a list of about 7 more houses to look at. He added 3 of his own because some of mine weren't available and he wanted us to have plenty of options in this small town.
stock photo

Suffice it to say we asked to go back to one of the houses from our original list and we decided to buy a seriously outdated house from the 70's! Some of the other options were just that bad. Others were ok but needed work and would have been way out of our budget if we did anything. And a few were "updated" but had major things I could see that I didn't like which meant you know there were things I couldn't see that I wouldn't like. We feel good about doing a fixer upper house because we know our abilities and knew we could handle it. The house had "good bones" and something else...
It had a beautiful view. A big overgrown when we first saw it, but that's something you can't add to a house and it made up for all the bad carpet, ugly paneling, and other issues I had with the house. Plus, I just love mountains!!!

Comments